18 Jan Gaining a Better Understanding of Customers
Do you sometimes struggle to gain a better understanding of your customers?
Do you sometimes wonder how you can develop a lasting relationship with your customers that will pay off repeatedly?
Its not enough to have great products and services, it is extremely important to have the kind of working relationship with your clients that makes them want to call you when they are facing challenges in your area of expertise.
If you are not getting those calls then you are doing something wrong. Clients should know you as the go to person to meet their needs when certain things go wrong in their organization.
If you are in IT, then you should be the one they call when they have IT problems, no matter your cost. If you are in problem solving, is a leadership expert or working with interpersonal issues like I do, you should be the person your customers call when they face issues in your niche area.
Here are some things to do to ensure you are the person they go to:
- Earn their respect – demonstrate that you know your stuff and can offer expert services
- Understand their needs – you must learn to listen and ask the right questions to gain a full scope of their needs so you are not responding to what you think is wrong but to their actual problem
- Take care of them – yes, take care of your customers needs in a timely manner
- Communicate responsibly – if you make a mistake, earn up to it, apologize and offer to serve them for free
- Respect their timelines – ask them if there is a timeline by which they need to address the problem and let them know honestly if you cannot meet their timeline. Interestingly if they like you they will wait for you if possible.
- Don’t do a no show – don’t tell them you’re available when you are backed up or don’t have the time. They will respect you more if you pass on a job rather than if you screwed up or don’t show up
- Don’t lie – don’t tell them you have experience you don’t. tell them you don’t know but would be willing to help them out if they are open to you trying. If you offer quality services and believe you can do it then go for it. They will respect your tenacity, especially if you give them a discount.
If the above is difficult for you then you should attend some of my professional development webinars upcoming this year to help you develop the confidence to be an entrepreneur. It takes gumption to show up every day and do your stuff.
Below is a list of my upcoming professional development webinars you can attend free once per month on the last Tuesday of every month from 12noon – 1pm CST. Sign-up for the one or all that is of interest to you by clicking on the links below.
January 31st – Professional Courage
February 28th – Taking Ownership
March 28th – Overcoming Fears
April 25th – Understanding Your Customers
May 30th – Believing in Yourself
June 27th – Speaking Your Truth
To Your Wellness,
- Joyce Odidison is a Conflict Analyst, Speaker, Author, and the world’s leading expert on Interpersonal Wellness Competency Mindset teaching. Joyce is President & CEO of Interpersonal Wellness Services Inc. as well as founder and host of the Annual Global Workplace Wellness Summit. Joyce has authored five books and is also a Certified Coach Training Director and Founder of Coach Velocity School of Coaching. Joyce is a C-Suite level workplace wellness expert and trainer, working for over 24 years with governments, the private sector, non-profits, and post-secondary institutions struggling with difficult work relationships or stressful situations. She is host of the What’s Happening at Work podcast. Joyce can be reached at e-mail: www.joyceodidison.com or phone 1 877 999-9591 www.interpersonalwellness.com