02 May 8 Steps to Building Resiliency
As busy professionals, it is important for us to maintain our resiliency so we don’t burn out.
Resiliency is the ability to bounce back after difficult and life altering experiences. Because…..
Professionals and entrepreneurs deal with intense stresses on a daily basis, they also need to develop resiliency practices to keep from burning out.
The stress of being constantly plugged into our businesses, economy, careers, innovation, technology, and all the other supporting structures of our profession can weigh us down, and over time, will have a life altering impact on our well-being.
Last week I did a short presentation at our local chamber luncheon and a number of people approached me after so I thought I would share some of the resiliency builders I presented in this format, so you too could find out why the audience was so plugged in. These resiliency builders are intended to help you release the stresses and tensions of your career and life to help maintain your equilibrium.
Take these 8 steps to add some of these to your life on an ongoing basis to stay well.
- Supportive Relationships – Having someone you can share openly and honestly with, who will support you with objective and emotional support consistently.
- Optimism – Expecting and speaking positive things into your life, e.g., “I will succeed” instead of “I know this won’t work out”.
- Clear Goals – Identify what you need to do, when you need to start, end, and a way to move forward.
- Spirituality – Find something outside yourself to worship and align your life values to.
- Gratitude – Be grateful for what you have, what is to come and for what has passed. Life doesn’t owe you anything.
- Self-Love – Find something about yourself to love and cherish; practice this as part of your weekly self-care.
- Unplug – Give yourself a day off each week to unplug from phones, emails, text, and all manner of outside stimuli – Try it and see how wonderful it feels. (Some of you may want to start with half a day and add an extra 30 minutes each week).
- Forgiveness – Forgive someone who has hurt or disappointed you. This will release negative emotions such as resentments, pain and anger, to allow more positive energy in your life.
Well-being is yours to grab hold of. Now that you are successful, take time to stay well, so you can enjoy the fruits of your labour.
To Your Wellness,
Joyce Odidison is a Conflict Analyst Coach, who is the founder of Interpersonal Wellness Services Inc. & Coaching Institute. She consults, teaches and coaches with mid-career professionals and organizations to improve performance, skills, competencies, and workplace wellness. She can be reached at www.interpersonalwellness.com or by phone at: 1 877 999-9591.
- Joyce Odidison is a Conflict Analyst, Speaker, Author, and the world’s leading expert on Interpersonal Wellness Competency Mindset teaching. Joyce is President & CEO of Interpersonal Wellness Services Inc. as well as founder and host of the Annual Global Workplace Wellness Summit. Joyce has authored five books and is also a Certified Coach Training Director and Founder of Coach Velocity School of Coaching. Joyce is a C-Suite level workplace wellness expert and trainer, working for over 24 years with governments, the private sector, non-profits, and post-secondary institutions struggling with difficult work relationships or stressful situations. She is host of the What’s Happening at Work podcast. Joyce can be reached at e-mail: www.joyceodidison.com or phone 1 877 999-9591 www.interpersonalwellness.com